Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Would like some info!

I recently found out that I was positive for Group B strep (nothing serious for me ~ just bacteria)......But can be bad for the baby. So they will put me on an IV antibiotic when I am in labor. So I am curious if anyone of you that read this, have gone through that........and if so, did you have any problems with thrush afterwards?

PLEASE give your input!


Just looked this up on the internet.......kind of interesting how to figure out how some things work........


When we get a bacterial infection that requires antibiotic therapy, those antibiotics may wipe out beneficial bacteria as well as the bad guys causing disease.

6 comments:

Janet said...

Yes, I had that also! I kind of forgot since I ended up having an IV because I was throwing up so much. Well, now that I think about it, did I get the antibiotics or not? I had been told I would get it and I think I remember asking about it. Hmmm...

But we did end up with thrush when Kellen was a month old. I was thinking I was going to have to go on a 3rd round of treatment, it is so hard to get rid of!!! SO, I did some reading on the internet and tried a simple cure. Diluted vinegar (25% was about what I used at first, then I made it about half and half). I would wipe myself before and after he fed. I could immediately feel the difference and knew it was finally gone! I ended up using it as a preventative, because sometimes I could feel it coming back. Hope that helps if you do get it! I never thought about the connection with the antibiotics.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Random reader here....but since you asked....Yes! I have been positive for all three of my kids. Of course, I had IV antibiotics during labor with all three. I only ever had thrush wiht my first baby, but I am pretty sure it is NOT becuase of the IV. I ended up taking oral antibiotics after birth (for an unrelated problem) and that gave me thrush. However, unlike Janet, I didn't have many problems in clearing the thrush up. One round of medication was all it took.

I hope that helps some!

Karisa Bailey

Laurie said...

Thanks for the comments girls! I really do appreciate it. It is encouraging Karisa to know that you didn't have thrush problems with the other two kids, even after the antibiotic drip. So far all that I have talked to have had thrush problems. Not that it is a HUGE deal....I just thought I could be somewhat prepared.

Karisa, we may of met once or twice before, but I do know of you! Do you guys have a blog?

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie,
Yes, we have met a few times before at Western etc. I think we would have to thank Crystal for intoducing us! I just wasn't too sure if you would 'know' me! :) Sorry, no blog. I keep thinking about it, but there is just no time! I have liked reading your blog as well, b/c we are going to be homeschooling our kids. Our oldest is only 4, so we have a bit of time before anything 'official' has to start! Take care, Karisa

Laurie said...

Karisa,

It's funny how we both wouldn't expect each other to know each other LOL :) Yes, I do believe it was Crystal that introduced us a LONNNNG time ago!

If you would like to email me, laurienkaelie@hotmail.com

Trail Rider said...

you know what????
tomorrow, Elishah and I are going into the doctor for thrush...maybe this is why she is so fussy....

it was joe that clued me in tonight. after he said,"maybe it's thrush"
i realized that it is! and with faith, she also had it. and those are the 2 kids I was group b positve with. so i would keep an eye out for it after baby comes. I think i'm catching it early.

thanks for your super encouragement on my blog. it's been rough. thanks for praying. i really do appreciate it.